Is your business prepared in the case of a brownout or lightning strike?
Power outage-related incidents, such as brownouts and lightning strikes, can affect technology systems, data, and hardware that businesses use in their day-to-day operations.
- A brownout is when your electrical voltage experiences a temporary drop without fully blacking out. An example of a brownout is when your lights dim for unknown reasons. Brownouts can be intentional as a way to reduce electrical loads and prevent blackouts, though they can be unintentional as well.
- Lightning strikes are electrical discharges and when they strike, would result in bringing an excess of energy through utility phones to outlets. Jones PC Repair made an excellent post summarizing the effects of lightning damage on computer systems.
Why should I be worried about brownouts or lightning strikes? What can happen to my IT infrastructure?
In the case for brownouts, the fact that there is suddenly a temporary drop can cause real damage to your system.
In the case for lightning strikes, the latest faster circuitry are generally smaller, and therefore do not have the physical mass to avoid damage and dissipate the extreme heat and energy that come with extreme power surges such as lightning strikes.
Losing business data can put a business in a position where it cannot continue to operate, as the following can result from brownouts and lightning strikes:
- Unreliable performance of equipment or complete failure to operate
- Computer systems and other electronic devices can be susceptible to data loss due to hardware damage (devices can include but are not limited to: data networking equipment, servers, phone systems, alarms, surveillance systems, and any device that has electronic components).
- Unexpected computer shutdown. This is the real danger. Operating systems are complex and they must go through a “shutdown sequence” to make sure all running processes have correctly terminated before powering off. A sudden loss of electricity can interrupt important threads and leave your computer in an inoperable state.
IT Experts advise users to protect against power-outage related incidents by properly shutting down servers and computers (not simply flipping the power switch to “off”) and to also unplug from the wall if one does not have a surge protector. Use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (surge protector with a backup battery) to add some protection against short power outages. SaalexIT strongly advises that you back up your data as well, since brownouts and lightning strikes are likely to come as a surprise.
The worst case scenario is that your data might not be recovered, even if you buy new hardware, servers, computers and other device replacements.
Your business data is your real lifeblood. Don’t wait for the unexpected computer shutdown; make sure your data is protected!
The one billion dollar question: Do you know if your business data is backed up and can be recovered in the case of a disaster?
Backing up data is essential and we stress to our clients that it should not be ignored, yet many small businesses do not perform backups.
If you do not have backups in place yet, we highly recommend that you unplug your IT systems during severe storms to avoid damaging your electronic devices, (better yet) contact SaalexIT to help get a data backup solution in place and make sure your hardware is properly protected too!
The statistics. According to DSScorp and dedicatedIT.com, plenty businesses have had the unfortunate experience of losing important, valuable data that helps their business thrive. We would like to take a moment to share the following statistics on data loss, losses that may very well have been prevented, if your business opted for better security and or/disaster recovery.
- Over 30% of users have lost 100% of their files and information at one time, due to a natural disaster, an accident, malicious virus, or catastrophic server failure(s).
- It is estimated that the average cost for any major data loss is over $200 per database record. If even one database is corrupted or compromised, it can cost an organization hundreds of thousands of dollars in recovery costs and fines — unless, of course, there is redundant data stored in a cloud backup or other system.
- In any given year, up to 25% of PC users will suffer an episode of data loss.
- 34% of businesses do not test tape backup. Of those 34% of businesses, companies using antiquated back-up methods (such as tapes) found that in over 77% of cases, the data exhibited discrepancies or failures that could not be fixed, rendering the back-up useless.
- 7 out of 10 small businesses go out of businesses within one year because of catastrophic data loss
- Companies that are unable to bounce back within 10 days without disaster recovery are unlikely to survive
SaalexIT can help you prepare for disaster, recover from a disaster and minimize downtime
Saalex Information Technology, LLC (SaalexIT) is currently responsible for Disaster Preparedness/Contingency Planning and has developed custom storage solutions, including Continuity of Operations (COOP) and disaster recovery (DR) plans that provide data redundancy and system security. These plans include hourly incremental backup schedules, solutions for onsite and cloud-based media storage, quick virtualization of failed servers, and procedures to automatically test backup data on a daily basis. The bottom line is our solutions can reduce downtime from weeks to hours or days. Backup plans are reviewed with the client and changes are made as needed. Clients can be given access to a web portal to review the status of their backup system or opt into receiving weekly reports via email.
- SaalexIT will provide installation and configuration for clients to back up their servers locally and to duplicate data to a cloud-based storage solution. Cloud-based storage will be handled and hosted by vendors that SaalexIT partners with. SaalexIT provides backup products and services for hybrid cloud business continuity planning, and disaster recovery. Providing cost effective solutions that are locally onsite and host data duplicated in the cloud.
- In the case of Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity, we will use the locally hosted or cloud-based solutions to spin up virtual machine(s) based on the situation at hand. This solution provides an incredible amount of flexibility to the small business (SMB) without paying enterprise-level prices.
- SaalexIT can set up hourly incremental back-ups. Our solutions are flexible in that they provide our clients the ability to set any backup schedule desired; hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly backups. SaalexIT can provide an unlimited cloud storage solution.
- SaalexIT will configure notifications of backup failures to include snapshots and email notices.
What our services will also do for you:
- Eliminate slow data recovery times when backup data is stored in the cloud.
- Eliminate the use of magnetic tapes as a backup option
- Upon disaster, we will have a new device shipped to your business overnight containing your otherwise-lost data, and
- Grant you the ability to quickly recover multiple terabytes of information in 24 hours, which would be nearly impossible using other methods.
Sudden changes in electrical voltage can cause real damage to your system and/or your hardware. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking it would never happen to you. Protect yourself early, protect yourself adequately. Why wait to level up your data backup? Call SaalexIT today!
Saalex Information Technology, LLC (SaalexIT) is a trusted partner in IT Managed Services, providing technology solutions that are designed to take your business to the next level. No matter what your IT requirements are, the SaalexIT experts can create, implement, and support a technology strategy that will fit your business and budget.
Call one of our regional offices, (805) 222-4977 (California) or (321) 848-0340 (Florida) to discovery why many businesses count on us for dependable IT solutions today.
SaalexIT – The IT Experts. Why Trust Anyone Else?